Friday, March 13, 2009

these are a few of my favorite things

Ahh, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I fell in love with the combination during our trip to Italy in spring of 2006, back when Chris and I conquered Italy with nothing more than a passion for traveling and a Canon PowerShot SD500.

I knew he was going to be my husband when we both went to Costco, very early in our relationship, ate our hot dogs plain (Polish sausage, yum!), and used the condensation on our soda cups to "wash" our hands. Of course, I didn't tell him that. But it was in Italy (Florence, to be specific) when I realized I loved Chris-- overlooking the Arno River just as the sun slipped below the horizon. Of course, I didn't tell him this either, but now he knows. ;)

Anyway, we went to Di Bruno Brothers on the way home from work today, and aside from the cheese samples they always have out, there was a table set up with pieces of bread, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. "OoOooohhhhh!" we exclaimed, grabbing a piece and dipping generously. As I popped a dripping piece into my mouth, I prayed people were kind enough to refrain from double dipping.

The explosion of taste in my mouth took me straight back to Italy. Now, I'm no expert in olive oil or balsamic vinegar, but this stuff was GOOD.

A store worker came up to us and started explaining that the olive oil was Di Bruno's own, in celebration of their 70th anniversary this year. He hadn't even finished his spiel when I grabbed a bottle of balsamic vinegar and attempted to grab a bottle of the olive oil. I failed in that regard, because my vinegar-less hand was holding a container of shrimp doomed for tonight's dinner. Chris helped me out, haha. He also grabbed a loaf of Italian bread sitting in a nearby basket.

We're super full from dinner (whole-wheat spaghetti with vodka cream sauce and shrimp, heyyyy), but eventually, when we eat this wonderful combination, I will be taken back to Italy...to where I fell in love with my future husband.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, that picture is making me crave it!

    I will be moving to Dallas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna add you to my blog.

    Come check mine out when you have time :)

    scottandchristinemay1st2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete